THE decision to hand Spain a €165m deal to build steel parts for Britain’s taxpayer-funded wind farms has sparked outrage.
Scottish Power, which is owned by Spanish giant Iberdrola, has awarded the lucrative building contracts to a shipyard in Spain which is owned by the Spanish government.
Critics say it flies in the face of the UK Government’s strategy to support British jobs and the decision has caused a crisis at Newcastle-based OGN Group which had hoped to secure the investment and 2,000 jobs.
Mary Glindon, Labour MP for North Tyneside, said: “If the Government wants to ensure work comes to British workers they have to take a stronger line with these companies.
“Why should the British taxpayer give money to support companies unless there’s some material benefit to the UK? It’s not international aid, it’s business.”
Scottish Power will receive millions in taxpayer-funded subsidies over the 15-year project, which will see the creation of a wind farm in East Anglia.
OGN is asking the Government to deliver on its promise to support British business and the Northern Powerhouse.
Scottish Power said it awarded the contract based on Spanish company Navantia’s technical and economic competitiveness.
A spokesman added: “We are working with a range of UK suppliers and supporting major investment in UK infrastructure.
“It is not possible to award contracts to every UK company which tenders, especially if bids for contracts are not competitive.”
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29