TEN Kurdish migrants have been found sealed in a container belonging to fashion retailer Mango in Spain.
Staff were shocked to discover four children, five men and a woman bundled inside the container when they opened it at the Mango logistics centre in Llica d’Amunt in Barcelona.
One of the group was vomiting and all ten – who were trying to reach the UK – were sent to hospital as a precaution, but they were described as being in “generally good health”.
The Catalan government’s head of equality and immigration, Oriol Amorós, said: “We will help them try to get refugee status but in any case we will accept them in Catalonia as it is our understanding that they are fleeing from a conflict zone.
“They were a bit disoriented when they got off the lorry as they thought they were in the United Kingdom.
“It seems that they had paid someone a sum of money and expected to be taken to Britain.”
Mango has said it will pay for the 10 migrants’ upkeep while their status is being ascertained.
The container was packed in Istanbul and then taken to the port of Izmir before crossing the Mediterranean on board a ferry to France, a 48-hour voyage.
The lorry driver, from Turkey, said he did not suspect anything unusual but is being questioned by police in France, where he picked up the vehicle.
Catalonia has previously expressed dissatisfaction over how many asylum seekers Spain has taken in given that it promised to take 17,000 last autumn.
At the end of August only 474 had arrived.
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06