Yesterday saw Greenpeace protesters block natural gas operations near the UNESCO World Heritage Site, which is home to more than 4,000 species of vulnerable animals.
WWF have since made an appeal for the protected wetlands in Sevilla.
“Donaña is in very serious danger,” said Juan Carlos del Olmo, head of WWF Spain.
“We don’t want it to be put on the list of endangered sites, but soon there won’t be any other option.”
WWF says the wetlands now only receive a fifth of the water they need, in part due to illegal farming nearby.
They also say nearby mining, gas and dredging activities are causing further damage.
Utility company Gas Natural Fenosa, who has been given permission to use depleted natural gas reservoirs as underground storage sites, has been building pipelines in the fragile area.
Activists marched on the site on Tuesday, blocking the company’s lorries to prevent further pipeline construction.
Gas Natural Fenosa said: “We have worked near Donaña for close to 30 years with the utmost care for the surroundings.”
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22
- TASTING MANILVA: Discovering another side to this expat hotspot through cottage industry wine - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 11:51
- HOUSE OF HORRORS: Expat squatter couple caged and interrogated after dead baby and child, 3, found buried near luxury urbanisations in Spain - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 14:23