In 2007, 16% of 113,000 tons of olive oil – mostly from Spain – arrived in bulk containers, but last year that figure had increased to more than 42% of 331,368 tons.
The figures, released by the International Olive Council (IOC), reflect the rising popularity of olive oil.
Spain accounted for 62% of bulk imports last year, while Italy’s share of the burgeoning large container market was just 4%.
Spain’s dominance in the smaller container market has also surged at the expense of Italy’s.
In 2007, Spain supplied just 9% of the small container market, but it has now grown to account for 25%.
Meanwhile, Italy, which once accounted for two-thirds of olive oil imported in bottles and tins, now only accounts for a third.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31