THE only false tooth factory in Spain will celebrate its 65th anniversary this year.
Unidesa-Odi is still the country’s only denture manufacturer, and exports to some 52 countries worldwide.
When Ana María Dominguez and her partner Jose started out in the denture industry, false teeth were still made by hand.
Today, a machine she calls the ‘robot’ produces more than 60 a minute.
“I’m amazed whenever I see the robot, and at how much things have changed… madre mía. In the beginning we just mixed a little powder with some liquid in a small cup.”
Now the company – based 50km southeast of Madrid in Tielmes – makes a total of 12 million dentures every year.
“Demand depends on the morphology of our clients. African countries ask for whiter teeth that are more of a square shape, while people in Asia like smaller teeth, made of ivory,” Export Manager Soraya Domínguez explains.
“We have a variety of colours, from very bright to darker. We realised that people from the United States like their teeth really, really white and so we had to create a brighter white for them,” added Soraya’s nephew, Guillermo Domínguez, who heads development and research.
The company continues to be run by the same family and is a mainstay of its small town of 2,600.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31