During a trip to Madrid, the party’s European spokesman told Spanish MPs that Scotland’s bid to keep single market status was very different from Catalonia’s independence claims.
Stephen Gethins also gave reassurances that the SNP will remain neutral on the Catalan independence issue.
The party was attempting to assuage Spanish concerns that granting an independent Scotland access to the EU will only encourage the Catalan secessionist movement.
The move has shown the SNP is prepared to turn its back on its Catalan allies if it secures Spanish support in Brussels.
But despite his efforts to be heard, Gethins was only met by centre-left PSOE and far-left Podemos MPs.
Not one MP from Mariano Rajoy’s Partido Popular met with the spokesman, while only three journalists showed up to press conference after the meetings, according to Politico.
It is a blow for Nicola Sturgeon’s independence hopes as access to the market and EU membership will be fundamental in gaining popular support to secede from the UK.
As one of the biggest EU players, Spanish support would be vital.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35