During a trip to Madrid, the party’s European spokesman told Spanish MPs that Scotland’s bid to keep single market status was very different from Catalonia’s independence claims.
Stephen Gethins also gave reassurances that the SNP will remain neutral on the Catalan independence issue.
The party was attempting to assuage Spanish concerns that granting an independent Scotland access to the EU will only encourage the Catalan secessionist movement.
The move has shown the SNP is prepared to turn its back on its Catalan allies if it secures Spanish support in Brussels.
But despite his efforts to be heard, Gethins was only met by centre-left PSOE and far-left Podemos MPs.
Not one MP from Mariano Rajoy’s Partido Popular met with the spokesman, while only three journalists showed up to press conference after the meetings, according to Politico.
It is a blow for Nicola Sturgeon’s independence hopes as access to the market and EU membership will be fundamental in gaining popular support to secede from the UK.
As one of the biggest EU players, Spanish support would be vital.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22