She made the announcement during a speech at Bute House, while MPs in Westminster are preparing to give Theresa May the power to trigger Article 50 and begin the UK’s divorce from the EU.
In her speech Sturgeon said the UK Government had ‘not moved even an inch in pursuit of compromise and agreement’ with the Scottish Government over Brexit and that even a good deal would be ‘significantly inferior’ to the current system.
“If Scotland can be ignored on an issue as important as the EU and the single market then it is clear that our voice can be ignored at any time and on any issue,” she said.
Scotland’s first minister said the new referendum must be held between Autumn 2018 and Spring 2019, when the terms of Brexit will be known.
She confirmed that she will apply for authorisation from the UK Government for the vote but added that they should respect the will of the Scottish Parliament.
“The option of no change is no longer available. But we will give the Scottish people a choice about the kind of change we want,” she said.
“I believe that it would be wrong for Scotland to be taken down a path that it has no control over regardless of the consequences for our economy, for our society, for our place in the world, for our very sense of who we are as a country. That would be wrong, and therefore my judgement is that we should have that choice.
“I believe that in a referendum the Scottish people will opt for independence, but that will be the choice of the Scottish people and I’ve been very clear that that will be an informed choice.”
Scotland voted to stay in the EU by 62%.
The SNP promised a second vote in their manifesto if they were taken out of the EU ‘against our will’.
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40
- FLAG-RANT: Fabian Picardo steps in after American cruise ship infuriates Gibraltar with ‘Welcome to Gibraltor’ message printed on Spanish flag - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:09
- WATCH: Dramatic rescue after two ‘narco boats’ collide off Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 May, 2019 @ 15:29
- Mystery as expat and two Lithuanians found in busted van carrying €1 MILLION CASH en route to Malaga – but NONE of them claim ownership - 15 May, 2019 @ 12:31
- ‘SOMEONE MUST KNOW’: Grandmother of missing British lad who vanished with his father from Spain’s Costa del Sol makes heartfelt appeal - 15 May, 2019 @ 10:45
- BAD FELLAS: Prison guard and 43 others arrested after Cadiz gang teams up with Italian mafia to free cannabis kingpin from Costa del Sol jail - 14 May, 2019 @ 15:54