President of the Marbella PP Angeles Muñoz has submitted an amendment to the municipal budget which would scrap the ferias in a bid to launch an ’employment plan’.
Muñoz wants €2.1 million to implement a jobs drive and will get the cash from the events budget.
This would make it impossible for Marbella or San Pedro to have their ferias this year.
Specifically, the PP wants to take €336,086 from the money set aside for San Pedro and €766,215 from Marbella.
In total, Muñoz proposes to withdraw €1,102,301 euros from the festivals budget and allocate it to the employment plan – details of which have yet to emerge.
They would remove another million euros for legal services, bringing the total to €2.1 million.
The amendment was initially approved this morning, despite not enough time being given to opposition groups to challenge it.
The budget change will face widespread criticism and likely legal challenges.
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40