President of the Marbella PP Angeles Muñoz has submitted an amendment to the municipal budget which would scrap the ferias in a bid to launch an ’employment plan’.
Muñoz wants €2.1 million to implement a jobs drive and will get the cash from the events budget.
This would make it impossible for Marbella or San Pedro to have their ferias this year.
Specifically, the PP wants to take €336,086 from the money set aside for San Pedro and €766,215 from Marbella.
In total, Muñoz proposes to withdraw €1,102,301 euros from the festivals budget and allocate it to the employment plan – details of which have yet to emerge.
They would remove another million euros for legal services, bringing the total to €2.1 million.
The amendment was initially approved this morning, despite not enough time being given to opposition groups to challenge it.
The budget change will face widespread criticism and likely legal challenges.
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06