Tivoli World, in Benalmadena, will be completely modernised while adjoining land will be developed into a commerical and leisure centre.
Madrid-based firm Tremon plans to build a complex covering more than 152,000 square metres on the east side of the park, along with gardens and a 2,000-space car park.
Hypermarkets, a cinema, concert hall, office blocks and a hotel will all feature in the project.
Upgrades in the park itself would see the addition of 43 new attractions.
These would include a mini Formula 1 circuit, an Everest expedition attraction and an area for extreme stunts demonstrations.
The town hall would gain a significant cash injection from planning permission fees and taxes, while the creation of jobs – 1,600 for construction and 3,300 after completion – and a boost to tourist numbers could revive the Arroyo area.
The project is expected to take two years to complete.
But it cannot go forward until a legal dispute is settled between the park’s previous owner Rafael Gomez and current owners Tremon.
Gomez, who is serving five years for tax offences, claimed the original sale of the park to Tremon in 2007 was never fully completed and took the company to court.
It led to an unusual arrangement whereby Tivoli World is in the name of Tremon but under the management of one of Gomez’s companies.
Tremon has said it will push ahead with its project as soon as the dispute is settled.
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13