AUDIENCE figures for Spain’s televised Sunday Mass soared after Podemos called for it to be scrapped.
The far-left party had proposed a bill that would end the broadcast of the Roman Catholic Mass on La2 television in a bid to make Spain more ‘multicultural’.
The bid came despite the broadcaster also showing secular, Jewish and Muslim shows.
But after the conservative Partido Popular campaigned against the initiative, the broadcast raked in 1.2 million viewers, its largest audience since 2004.
The 13-year high saw the programme’s share of Spain’s audience reach 21%, some three times bigger than usual.
Podemos argued that while it does not oppose religious programming, religious rituals should not be shown on state-funded television in an era of increasing multiculturalism and secularism.
Party leader Pablo Iglesias has stood by his action, posting a video on Twitter showing Antonio Reig, the arch-conservative bishop near Madrid, declaring that gays who prostitute themselves or go to gay nightclubs ‘will go to hell’.
Iglesias said: “In a mass, sending someone to hell for being gay? On public television, which we all pay for. No thanks.”
Meanwhile, an online petition to protect the programme has garnered almost 100,000 signatures.
Church attendance is down in Spain as the most recent survey saw 59.3% say they ‘almost never’ go to Mass.
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06