THE family of a Briton who was killed by a drug driver in Mallorca have claimed the authorities ‘abandoned’ them.
The sister of victim Adrian O’Kane, Stephanie, has said they were left to fend for themselves by both the Spanish cops and British consulate.
Birmingham father-of-two Adrian was killed while returning to his hotel on April 23 during a stag weekend in Magaluf.
The 40-year-old had no travel insurance, but a fundraising appeal saw more than €35,000 raised in less than two weeks, enough to have his body flown home.
Stephanie, 44, told the Birmingham Mail: “The police have not been in touch with us at all.
“The language barrier was a problem and because it was a Sunday there weren’t many people around to help.
“The police woman on duty couldn’t even tell me where Adrian was.”
Stephanie said the British Consulate had simply directed devastated relatives to a website.
“They have said they supported us but really they didn’t,” she said.
“We called them.
“I would have thought the police in Spain would have contacted the police in the UK and then they would have advised us.
“There isn’t anybody to guide you when something like this happens.
“We have now got the legal ball rolling and we have the initial police reports but we have not had any official police contact.
“It was his friend Danny who phoned us on Sunday night to tell us what had happened, not the police or Consulate.”
Adrian was one of five siblings.
“I don’t think any of us can believe it’s true,” added Stephanie.
Adrian was in Magaluf with a group of around 30 friends for his friend Danny Nicholson’s stag do.
Stephanie addressed claims that he had been lying in the middle of the road when he was hit by the car.
“We don’t believe that,” she said.
“We don’t know if this is a miscommunication.
“I have spoken to the two friends he was with and they said he was not drunk.
“Obviously they had all had a few drinks – it was a stag do.”
To donate, visit www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/HelptobringAdrianOkanehome .
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50