The fraud, which involved investing in storage units, is believed to have claimed thousands of victims in Spain and the UK.
The UK’s Serious Fraud Office (SFO) is probing how up to €140 million could have been invested into various schemes including Capita Oak Pension, the Henley Retirement Benefit, the Westminster Pension Scheme and Trafalgar Multi Asset Fund.
The fraud is linked to pension funds and is often aimed at expat investors in Europe.
The SFO said it will look into whether investors, including pensioners, were tricked into putting money into the ‘self-storage’ investments.
The SFO has urged anyone who invested in the funds between 2011 and 2017 to get in touch.
Promoters of the scams persuaded clients to buy a long lease on a storage unit – containers that are used to store belongings – and rent it out in the hope of making a good return.
This rarely happened.
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40
- FLAG-RANT: Fabian Picardo steps in after American cruise ship infuriates Gibraltar with ‘Welcome to Gibraltor’ message printed on Spanish flag - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:09
- WATCH: Dramatic rescue after two ‘narco boats’ collide off Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 May, 2019 @ 15:29
- Mystery as expat and two Lithuanians found in busted van carrying €1 MILLION CASH en route to Malaga – but NONE of them claim ownership - 15 May, 2019 @ 12:31