The fraud, which involved investing in storage units, is believed to have claimed thousands of victims in Spain and the UK.
The UK’s Serious Fraud Office (SFO) is probing how up to €140 million could have been invested into various schemes including Capita Oak Pension, the Henley Retirement Benefit, the Westminster Pension Scheme and Trafalgar Multi Asset Fund.
The fraud is linked to pension funds and is often aimed at expat investors in Europe.
The SFO said it will look into whether investors, including pensioners, were tricked into putting money into the ‘self-storage’ investments.
The SFO has urged anyone who invested in the funds between 2011 and 2017 to get in touch.
Promoters of the scams persuaded clients to buy a long lease on a storage unit – containers that are used to store belongings – and rent it out in the hope of making a good return.
This rarely happened.
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33