A SPANISH hero who tried to defend a woman from a London terrorist last week has been honoured by Spain posthumously.
Ignacio Echeverria’s home country has awarded him the Grand Cross of the Order of Civil Merit for his bravery.
The 39-year-old, who worked for HSBC in the UK capital, is said to have tried to defend a woman from one of the terrorists with his skateboard in Borough Market.
He was last seen lying on the pavement and became one of the eight killed when his death was confirmed on Wednesday.
Spanish prime minister Mariano Rajoy praised Echeverria, from Madrid, for his ‘heroic and exemplary act’ and recommended him for the award.
The foreign ministry said: “His bravery in standing up for a defenceless person is a reminder of the need to remain united in the face of the scourge of terrorism.”
Friend of Echeverria, Guillermo Sanchez, said they had been walking to dinner from the nearby skatepark when they happened upon the attack.
They saw a woman being assaulted while a police officer had fallen to the ground.
“I’m focusing on her and then, suddenly, I see that Ignacio’s there, starting to hit the attacker with his skateboard.”
He was soon set upon by the terrorists and fell to the ground.
His friends managed to get away.
His hometown Las Rozas held a vigil on Thursday after his body was confirmed the day before.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22