THE reserves for donated blood in Mallorca are around half of the advised minimum quota.
The summer season is always the hardest with reduced donations and a large increase in population.
But last week the Blood and Tissue Bank Foundation reported only 385 bags in the bank, when the minimum is advised to be 700 bags.
In the Balearics, 60 percent of blood donations is intended for leukemia or lymphoma patients, and almost 10 percent goes to ill children, leaving 30 percent for the all the other situations, including chronic blood diseases and trauma patients.
Ismael Gutierrez, the manager of the foundation, has made a public plea for blood donations. “Blood has no cost,” he reminds residents.
An Olive Press appeal for O Negative blood for ill expat Serena Gorman, 11, in May, temporarily led to a big rise in donations, leaving it ‘fully stocked’.
But now they need more, added Gutierrez.
- Sexy gingers who want a trip to Ibiza CLICK HERE - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 16:35
- The most beautiful village in Mallorca has been named - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 10:56
- Gender violence a top priority for New Police Commissioner of the Balearics - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 17:03
- Environmentalists call for huge expansion of the Cabrera National Park - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 15:50
- Promenade promises to create a whole new look for visitors arriving in Palma - 5 Nov, 2018 @ 11:13
- Five dead – including British tourists – and dozens still missing in Mallorca’s biggest flood in decades - 10 Oct, 2018 @ 10:11
- British tourist found floating in Ibiza’s Port of Sant Antoni - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:58
- Young expat starts campaign to raise awareness against balconing in Spain - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:09
- Boat propeller hacks off arm and leg of two young tourists in Spain - 1 Aug, 2018 @ 14:48
- Nit de L’Art and a month long Jazz festival coming to Sa Pobla - 23 Jul, 2018 @ 08:42