SPANISH police have been accused of going too far after allegedly beating British holidaymakers ‘for singing’.
Video footage has emerged of a policeman running towards clubbers before attacking them with a baton on Saturday night.
The film, shot in a popular tourist resort, clearly shows the officer randomly attacking teenagers as they took part in a group singalong.
Daniel Davis, 34, told the Sun he saw one of the officers ‘whip’ young holidaymakers as they stood in the road.
“One of them had a whip, it was shocking,” he said.
Daniel was exiting a pub in the Santa Ponsa resort, on Mallorca, when he witnessed the attack at around 4am.
“Kids were chanting in the street. All of a sudden a car was trying to get past and that’s when police arrived,” he said.
“They came running in and were hitting everyone, they were so aggressive.”
When police officers saw Daniel filming, they allegedly tried to take his mobile phone.
He says they made him delete some of his footage, but his phone died half way through, meaning some of it was saved.
“There is a massive problem over there. They do not like anybody,” he said.
“They were just kids.
“There were two or three that were hitting people. They then called for back up, but the crowds weren’t aggressive or violent, they weren’t actually doing anything, only singing.
“There were people walking past who were getting hit. It was so aggressive.”
“It was a massive over-reaction by the police,” he said.
“Girls were screaming ‘what the hell has just happened?’
“The policeman knew it was an overreaction because he wanted me to delete the film.
“He went pale when he saw my battery die because he knew he couldn’t do anything then.
“I hid my phone down my pants. I was worried they would arrest me.
“They didn’t ask any questions, just got out the car, then bang bang bang.
“I come to the same place every year and I’ve never seen anything like this before.”
Police have yet to comment on the footage.
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31