A BEAR is believed to have chased more than 200 sheep off of a cliff in Spain.
It comes after 209 sheep were found dead at the base of a cliff in the Pyrenees near the border between France and Spain.
Experts believe the bear targeted one of the sheep, which sparked panic among the flock and sent the animals hurtling over a cliff to their death 200 meters below.
The mass death occured in a gorge outside the village of Lladorre in Catalonia.
An investigation found a bear was to blame after analyzing hair found on one of the sheep, which belonged to a farmer in Couflens, southwestern France.
Farmers have been incensed by the news, renewing the debate over the reintroduction of bears to the Pyrenees.
“Pastoralism, which is a guarantor of biodiversity and of a living and welcoming mountain region, is not compatible with the reintroduction of large predators,” said the French Confédération Paysanne (Farmers’ Federation) in a statement.
“The state, which is responsible for the reintroduction of the bears, should remove the ones that are causing problems and should not reintroduce any more bears,” it said.
Native Pyrenean brown bears almost died out in the 1990s due largely to hunting.
The first attempt to re-introduce them was in 1996-97 when two females and a male were brought from Slovenia.
There are now believed to be 35 brown bears on both sides of the Pyrenees.
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06