A WOMAN has been announced dead following a ‘freak’ explosion at an Andalucian hotel.
Local Maria de la Luz Morillo, 33, died today after suffering burns on 90% of her body following a fire at the 100% Fun hotel in Tarifa, Cadiz.
The flames began after a generator exploded, sending sparks into the kitchen and setting fire to a vat of cooking oil on Saturday night, revealed Olive Press sources.
Morrillo was admitted to the intensive care unit of the Hospital Virgen del Rocío in Sevilla, where five others remain, all in a serious condition.
According to sources at the hospital, the remaining seven victims have burns between 30% and 60% of their bodies.
The eighth wounded is recovering at the Hospital Puerta del Mar, but has burns on 90% of his body.
The incident occurred at about 19:40 on Saturday in the kitchen of the Russian-owned hotel, when the eight employees, four men and four women, were having dinner.
There was an explosion in an Endesa electricity transformer box, which brings electricity to the hotel.
A local British hotelier told the Olive Press: “It was the hottest day of the year and the electricity demands were enormous at all the nearby hotels.
“I really don’t know who is to blame, but as I understand it, it was a spark that lit the cooking oil at the restaurant and it all went up very quickly.
“It was just before the restaurant was due to open.”
In a statement released today, the power company Endesa regretted the death of the woman.
It said it has launched an investigating into what happened, adding that the explosion was something ‘exceptional’.
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52