A MALAGA restaurant owner has spoken out after a British vegan blasted his salad on Twitter.
“We are not a vegetarian restaurant, never mind vegan,” the owner of the Bahia eatery Ruben Gómez explained to press.
“At the entrance to our restaurant we have a counter full of different cuts of steak, but we make every effort to ensure our vegetarian and vegan clients are well served.”
It comes after British blogger Gabbie Jarvis’s tweet of her ‘minimalist’ tomato and onion salad went viral (above).
The tweet, which she has now deleted, received at least 1,100 replies, 16,000 retweets and 61,000 likes.
But Gomez has claimed the photo doesn’t reflect what actually happened that night at his restaurant in Fuengirola, which has been open for 26 years.
“We told them that we did not have dishes that were strictly vegan,” says Gómez.
“But that we could prepare any dish using a mix of ingredients that are on the menu.”
Jarvis’s sister wanted ¡a vegetable pizza, but it was not suitable as eggs were used in the dough.
It was suggested she choose various ingredients to create a salad to her liking, but instead she chose one of the options on the menu.
“It is our simplest salad,” says Gómez. “It also usually has garlic but we’ve found that a lot of foreigners don’t like it very much, so we didn’t put it in. Customers usually order this salad as an side, not as a main dish. But it was the dish she chose – she could have ordered another salad.”
Gomez added that there were dozens of ingredients she could have added.
The blogger has now shut down her Twitter account altogther.
She is said to have claimed she was not at Bahía that night, despite the evidence suggesting otherwise.
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56