CARLES Puigdemont is being urged not to declare Catalan independence in a key speech today.
The Catalan leader will address the regional parliament at 18.00pm Spanish time.
Barcelona’s mayor Ada Colau has said an independence declaration could damage ‘social cohesion’.
“[The referendum result] cannot be an endorsement to proclaim independence but they constitute the possibility of opening a dialogue and international,” she said.
Some 90% of the 2.4 million who cast their ballot voted for Catalunya to split from Spain, but the constitutional court had ruled the referendum was illegal.
Puigdemont could unilaterally declare independence following this month’s referendum.
He has said he will explain ‘the political situation’.
Independence supporters have been sharing the hashtag #100 Declaracio on Twitter.
Police are billeted outside the Catalan parliament ahead of this evening’s speech.
Meanwhile, Barcelona businesses have reported a drop in hotel reservations since the crisis began.
It comes amid growing concern over the economic impact, with Sabadell, CaixaBank and Gas Natural all moving their HQs from Catalunya in the past few days.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00