A PUB in Yorkshire has been named the best restaurant in the world by TripAdvisor.
The Black Swan in Oldstead, North Yorkshire, shot straight to the top in a list of fine dining restaurants compiled by TripAdvisor – an incredible feat considering it had never previously been listed in the rankings.
Raymond Blanc’s Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons in Great Milton, Oxfordshire, came second, while the Martín Berasategui in Lasarte-Oria, north-east Spain – which had been ranked first since 2015 – was placed fifth on the list.
The rankings are based on millions of customer reviews over a 12-month period.
It’s the first time a British restaurant placed first in the list since it began in 2012.
The Black Swan has a Michelin star and four AA rosettes.
It is run by the Banks family, who bought it as a struggling village pub in 2006.
Head chef Tommy Banks, who runs the pub with his brother and is the UK’s youngest Michelin-starred chef, described it as ‘a huge honour’ to win the award.
“What makes it really special is that it’s been awarded because of feedback from our customers,” he said.
The Banks family have lived and farmed in Oldstead for generations. “There’s an ‘Oldstead’ style; plenty of tradition and culture cut through with a modern earthy exuberance,” their website reads.
The TripAdvisor website describes their restaurant as: “A tantalising trip for the taste buds. This restaurant is truly a box of delights. The flavours, combinations of ingredients and skill in putting together the menu are joyous.”
A tasting menu costs €100 per person.
The Fat Duck, in London, placed 12th on the list, giving the UK three in the top 20.
SPAIN TOP RANKING
Spain has two restaurants in the top ten, fifth placed Martín Berasategui and Celler de Can Roca, in Girona, which placed 10th.
The Azurmendi restaurant, in Larrabetzu, placed 24th, meaning Spain has three in the top 25.
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40