A spokesman for the conservative government of Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said on Friday that it was challenging ‘certain parts’ of the legislation, which was adopted last year and hailed by animal rights groups.
“The autonomous community doesn’t have in its mandate the specific power to protect animal rights,” said Inigo Mendez de Vigo, from Madrid.
The new law does not outlaw bullfighting completely, but it forbids the use of ‘sharp implements that can injure and/or kill the bull,’ effectively outlawing the animal’s slaughter.
It also limits the number of animals that bullfighters can spar with to just three, and give a maximum duration of ten minutes per bull.
It also forces bullfighters and animals to take anti-doping tests before and after the corrida, and allows only people aged 18 and above to watch.
Restrictions and bans have increased across the country as a growing number of Spaniards see the sport as a cruel spectacle.
These restrictions however, have often come up against strong resistance from supporters who see the tradition as an integral part of Spanish culture.
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40