SPAIN’S attorney general leading the prosecution of the separatist Catalan leaders has died.
Jose Manuel Maza, 66, died in a Buenos Aires hospital, shortly after saying he felt unwell.
His death has been confirmed by justice minister Rafael Catalá and has been attributed to a kidney infection.
The country has now lost its top prosecutor just as Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy is working to get Spain’s judiciary to prosecute secessionist leaders for illegally declaring the region’s independence.
Maza began the prosecution of 20 Catalan politicians in October, including the region’s former leader, Carles Puigdemont.
Maza argued that they should stand trial for rebellion and sedition, as well as the misuse of public funds to organise an independence referendum.
If found guilty of rebellion, the separatist leaders could face up to 30 years in prison.
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33