THE brother of an African migrant who was found dead in a Malaga jail has demanded an independent probe after claiming his brother was subject to police brutality.
Mohamed Boudarbala was found dead in his cell on Friday at a new prison in Archidona, which is currently being used as a CIE – a centre where migrants are held in Spain before and while their asylum requests are processed.
But while police said on Tuesday that the 36-year-old ‘hanged himself with a sheet’, his brother Ahmed Boudarbala said he was not suicidal.
At a press conference organised by the Citizens’ Platform Against the CIE of Archidona he said: “I was in contact with my brother every day, we called each other, he complained about the food, the cold, but he didn’t complain about life.
“He was sporty, young, very happy and very positive.
“He died in murky circumstances.”
According to Ahmed, from Algeria, inmates at the prison-cum-migrant centre have complained of beatings by police, and his brother was beaten just hours before his death.
Relatives of other people in the centre have also made claims of police brutality, according to the rights group.
Asked whether there had been unrest before Boudarbala’s death, a police spokesman said he did not know.
Spain’s interior ministry has not responded to requests for comment.
Daniel Machuca, spokesman for the Citizens’ Platform Against the CIE of Archidona, said relatives of inmates reported ‘terrible’ living conditions, including no hot water.
There have also been reports of riot police charging at the migrants after protests over living conditions.
Police say they opened an investigation into Boudarbala’s death.
His brother Ahmed and the platform called for authorities to stop deporting migrants from the jail back to their homeland, as these could be potential witnesses in the probe.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22