PODEMOS in Jerez de la Frontera is pushing to have the zambomba officially recognised by the Royal Spanish Academy.
The tradition dates back to the 1700s and has experienced a comeback in the last few years, even being added to Spain’s cultural heritage list in 2015.
While the rest of Spain may consider a zambomba no more than a rustic musical instrument, in Jerez the word has a much richer meaning.
It sees locals in the Cadiz town bonding around a bonfire on wicker chairs while a selection of liqueur wines, Ibérico cold cuts and Christmas sweets do the rounds.
Carols are sung by flamenco singers while guitar players strum dozens of original songs learned and added to over generations.
Singers’ repertoires include songs about Baby Jesus becoming drunk from the fruit of the strawberry tree and others on love affairs and quarrels.
“The zambomba is participatory by definition. Even the most tame and timid take part in it,” said Miriam Morales, commercial director of the Atalaya Museums.
The decree from the Culture Council which recognised zambomba as an important cultural heritage defines the tradition as an ‘authentic ritual’ which mixes different flamenco palos or styles, from bulerías to rondas and more
“It is a cultural industry that is already being exported elsewhere in Andalucia,” said local Podemos member Manuel Ruiz, who holds a PhD in history and is campaigning for the RAE to broaden its definition of zambomba.
- Expats rally around British pensioner made homeless on Spain’s Costa del Sol as alleged ‘squatter tenants’ speak out - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 20:32
- British expats and locals FUMING as celebrity chef Dani Garcia’s chiringuito gets go ahead on protected land in southern Spain - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:16
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09