PODEMOS in Jerez de la Frontera is pushing to have the zambomba officially recognised by the Royal Spanish Academy.
The tradition dates back to the 1700s and has experienced a comeback in the last few years, even being added to Spain’s cultural heritage list in 2015.
While the rest of Spain may consider a zambomba no more than a rustic musical instrument, in Jerez the word has a much richer meaning.
It sees locals in the Cadiz town bonding around a bonfire on wicker chairs while a selection of liqueur wines, Ibérico cold cuts and Christmas sweets do the rounds.
Carols are sung by flamenco singers while guitar players strum dozens of original songs learned and added to over generations.
Singers’ repertoires include songs about Baby Jesus becoming drunk from the fruit of the strawberry tree and others on love affairs and quarrels.
“The zambomba is participatory by definition. Even the most tame and timid take part in it,” said Miriam Morales, commercial director of the Atalaya Museums.
The decree from the Culture Council which recognised zambomba as an important cultural heritage defines the tradition as an ‘authentic ritual’ which mixes different flamenco palos or styles, from bulerías to rondas and more
“It is a cultural industry that is already being exported elsewhere in Andalucia,” said local Podemos member Manuel Ruiz, who holds a PhD in history and is campaigning for the RAE to broaden its definition of zambomba.
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20