A SPANISH bank has been ordered to pay hundreds of thousands in damages to expats over a failed off-plan development.
A Mallorca court ruled in favour of more than 80 buyers who had invested in the Cala Romantica development in 2006, via Sabadell solbank.
The homes were due to be completed by 2008 but construction stalled before the contracts were cancelled in 2011 when the developers declared bankruptcy. CostaLuz-DeCastro sued the firm’s bank on behalf of dozens of buyers, forcing them to fork out nearly €500,000, plus costs.
Sabadell argued that it had no legal relationship with the claimants as it was not involved in any of the purchase contracts. Lawyers for the bank also claimed the time limit to file a lawsuit was one year.
They added that the bank is not mentioned in any of the contracts and that none of the off-plan payments were paid to the developer’s accounts at Sabadell.
However the Judge disagreed, saying: “The fact that the claimants did not demand the delivery of the individual guarantees does not exempt the bank of its responsibility.”
The law firm representing the claimants said the win could set an important precedent.
“There are hundreds of examples like this throughout Spain as a result of the bursting of the financial and real estate bubble,” said CostaLuz-DeCastro spokesman Keith Rule.
His firm has won 44 separate cases in 2017 mostly for expats.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29