The important technology – the back-up security monitoring centre for Galileo, Europe’s advanced version of GPS – was awarded to London eight years ago after a highly-competitive process.
The centre was set to become fully operational later this year.
It controls access to the satellite system and offers 24/7 monitoring of it when the head security centre in Paris is offline.
A spokesperson from the Commission said: “Today the Committee of the member states’ representatives met and we can confirm that the committee voted in favour, by a large majority of our commission proposal to relocate the centre to Spain.
“This is what we can say today. As is the case with all committee procedures the college [of commissioners] will now formally adopt this decision in its meeting next Wednesday.”
The announcement is a further Brexit-related blow to the UK’s space industry.
It comes after aerospace firms and the Royal Aeronautical Society in November said they were being excluded from contracts because of the EU divorce.
The relocated back-up security centre is expected to employ as many as 30 people when it becomes fully operational in Madrid – with additional benefits for prestige and local expertise.
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50