SPAIN’S production of wine for 2017 was down 20% compared to the year before, figures have shown.
The agriculture ministry has reported the total production of wine and must in the current 2017/18 vintage stands at 35.6 million hectolitres compares eith 44 million in 2016 – a 19.6% drop.
Overall, production in 2017 is 19.6% lower than the previous season and 17.6% lower than the average of the previous six seasons.
“The declarations confirm, therefore, a campaign of relatively low production, which, together with the also low productions of the main producing countries of the community, has supposed a price increase in the wine market,” a statement from the ministry said.
The latest figures follow what has been a challenging year for producers throughout Europe, with with late spring frosts, widespread drought and a heatwave affecting large swathes of France, Spain and Italy.
It comes after the European Commission in October said it expected European production to be at a 36-year low with figures predicting at the time that Italy would suffer a 23% drop, France 19% and Spanish production 15%.
The latest figures from Spain ministry of agriculture, however, push that estimate to 19.6%.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29