SPAIN will reclaim an island from France next week, but there will be no shots fired.
In fact in six months’ time, Spain will give the 3,000sqm territory back to France.
It’s a tradition that has lasted some 350 years.
Pheasant Island, wedged between France and Spain on the river Bidassoa, sits in an estuary near the French resort Hendaye and the Spanish town Hondarriba.
The island is uninhabited and its only man-made feature is an old monument which pays tribute to a historic event that happened in 1659.
France and Spain were negotiating their end of war terms on the island as it was considered neutral territory.
Wooden bridges were built from each side and the armies of both countries stood nervously by as the Treaty of the Pyrenees was signed.
The agreement was forged with a marriage between King Louis XIV and the daughter of Spain’s King Philip IV.
The island, it was decided, would be shared between the two powers, with Spain having it from February 1 to July 31, and France for the following six months.
The joint sovereignty is known as a condominium, and Faisans Island – as it is called in France – is one of the oldest in existence.
The territory is just over 200m long and 40m wide.
Only on very rare occasions is the public invited to visit on heritage open days.
The island is now being eroded with little political will to pay for defences to protect it – it has lost nearly half of its size over the centuries.
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13