The trifecta means it will be a Blue Moon, Blood Moon and a lunar eclipse all at the same time.
A Blue Moon is when two full moons happen in the same calendar month; lunar eclipses occur when the moon passes into the Earth’s shadow; and supermoons happen when the moon’s perigee — its closest approach to Earth in a single orbit — coincides with a full moon.
Tomorrow night, the supermoon also happens to be the same day as the lunar eclipse.
It means it will be a Super Blue Blood Moon.
In Spain, this supermoon can be seen ‘without any problem’ on the night of the 30 to 31, according to scientist Antonio Pérez Verde, although the eclipse will not be visible as it will occur at 2.30 pm on Wednesday.
While the Moon is in the shadow of the Earth, it will take on a reddish hue, known as the Blood Moon.
For observers in North America, Alaska or Hawaii, the eclipse will be visible before dawn on January 31.
For those in the Middle East, Asia, eastern Russia, Australia and New Zealand, the ‘super blue blood moon’ can be seen during the moonrise on the morning of the 31st.
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14