A BLANKET of snow and ice has covered much of Spain with 34 provinces on alert in the north, centre and south of the country.
The mercury hit subzero temperatures in dozens of cities with lows of -10 in mountainous areas.
Schools and roads have been forced to close while an emergency meeting was held by the government in Barcelona yesterday in a bid to develop a plan to tackle the frosty onslaught.
Madrid had two close two runways at the Adolfo Suarez Barajas airport on Monday and around 50 flights were cancelled, while in Catalunya, 50 children had to be rescued from a mountain while on a school expedition.
At least 300 roads have experienced problems since Monday.
Zaragoza, Cantabria, Albacete, Cuenca, Catalonia and Asturias, were all given orange alerts indicating significant risk.
Yellow alerts were issued to Córdoba, Granada, Jaén, Toledo, Castilla y Leon, Madrid, Navarra, La Rioja and the Basque Country.
- What are the betting odds for Brexit - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 09:45
- 11 Reasons Why Over 75,000 International Students Choose to Study in Spain - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:05
- Out of this world: ‘Green Spaceship’ to dock in Madrid - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:24
- After a five-year period of sustained growth, there is a change in the air in Marbella, reports Diana Morales Properties - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:14
- Rule-breaking Madrid design firm gives grunge office block some colour therapy - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 18:52
- The latest mega-development for Gibraltar has all the signs of being a big hit with investors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:43
- Madrid architects take centre stage with their dramatic conversion of a historic playhouse - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:25
- BBQ King: Ingenious pellet stove barbecues are a dream come true for cooking outdoors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:09
- Famous British businessman and Premier League football star flock to new Benahavis development - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:08
- Barcelona Unesco treasure hosts Scottish cancer charity’s first care centre on the continent - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:47