THE Balearic Islands has pledged to phase out greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
In an ambitious plan, Ibiza, Mallorca, Menorca and Formentera will take new diesel cars off the market from 2025.
In the same year, all street and road lighting will be replaced by LEDs.
The green manifesto will also see solar panels installed on all buildings with roof spans of more than 1,000 square metres, while coal plants will be phased out and all rental cars will be electric.
Francina Armengol, president of the Balearics’ socialist-green government said: “We are very aware that plenty of the measures in the law we are announcing demand efforts from the public and private sectors.
“It has to be this way if the law is to be more than a mere statement of intent.”
Joan Groizard, the islands’ director-general for climate change said it could clash with Madrid, and that the legal implications were being studied ‘very carefully’.
“There is a live debate about what regions can and can’t do, and we are working very practically on the legal side of this,” he said.
“We can’t ratify the Paris agreement on our own but we can take a decision to adhere to it.”
- Woody Allen to film new project across Spain after securing financing from Spanish company despite sexual abuse allegations which saw him dumped by Amazon - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:28
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10