SPAIN has called for joint management of Gibraltar airport in the ongoing Brexit negotiations.
Foreign minister Alfonso Dastsis also said his country wants greater cooperation on tax and tobacco smuggling.
The new claims threaten to spark more uproar among Tory backbenchers in the UK who are furious that the British government has not stood up enough to Spain over the Rock.
Dastis wants an agreement by next month’s crucial EU summit where Britain hopes to secure a Brexit transition deal.
It comes after Brussels gave Spain a formal veto over the provisions of any EU-UK Brexit deal that applies to Gibraltar.
Speaking to the Financial Times, Dastis said he wanted a deal that was as close as possible to the status quo with Britain.
But on Gibraltar he said Spain wants a deal that will see them ‘manage the airport together’.
He insisted Spain ‘has a claim’ to the land, claiming it was illegally occupied by the UK.
He added: “We need some more co-operation with the Gibraltar or the UK tax authorities but the situation has already improved.
“The Gibraltarians seem willing to co-operate, we need to see that in practice.”
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37