A BRITISH TV benefits couple tried to defend taking their kids out of school for a holiday to Spain but saying it was educational because they learned about volcanoes.
Scott and Leanne Gavin were taken to court after three of their four kids missed a week of school for a trip to Fuerteventura.
The parents denied any wrongdoing and said the school was fully aware they were taking their children on holiday between June 19 and 23 last year..
The Gavins, who recently appeared on Channel 5’s Great British Benefit Handout, also refused to pay a fixed penalty notice for the absences.
Dad Scott, 33, who has set up a mini-zoo and exotic animals business, said he wanted to take his family on holiday due to the amount of media attention he and his family were receiving.
“Also, the exotic animal visits business we run is seasonal – we are busiest at half-terms and school holidays, not during school term.
“The school knew we were taking the children on holiday with us.”
Gavin then claimed the trip was ‘educational’ for the children.
She added: “They learned about geography as we flew over the different countries, also about volcanoes.
“Two of the children learned how to swim, and speak a little bit of Spanish.”
Jason Hollywood, head teacher of the school, said he had had a constant problem with the Gavins with unauthorised time off and lateness.
He told the court: “It has been the worst I have ever witnessed in my 26-year long career.”
Magistrates found the Gavins guilty of being a parent of a child of compulsory school age registered at a school who failed to attend regularly.
They were each fined £350, and ordered to pay £400 each towards prosecution costs at the rate of £30 each per week.
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18