The UK capital came second only to Paris in the tenth annual Travellers’ Choice awards for destinations.
They were followed by Rome in third and Bali fourth.
New York, a favourite among travellers, was bumped down five places from fifth to 10th.
Crete, Barcelona, Prague, Marrakech and Istanbul – which come in fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth and ninth respectively – all ranked above the Big Apple.
London held onto its top spot despite two terror attacks last year at London Bridge and the Houses of Parliament.
The awards are based on millions of reviews and opinions from users on TripAdvisor.
Winners were chosen using an algorithm derived from the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for hotels, restaurants and attractions and traveller booking interest.
Laura Citron, CEO of London & Partners said: “It’s wonderful to see that visitors continue to be drawn in by London’s extraordinary mix of history and heritage, cutting-edge contemporary culture alongside an array of major events and festivities.
“This year promises another jam-packed programme of blockbuster exhibitions, shows and exciting new openings to tempt visitors of all ages, interests and budgets.”
Seven of the top ten come from Europe this year: Paris, London, Rome, Crete, Barcelona, Prague and Istanbul.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29