The UK capital came second only to Paris in the tenth annual Travellers’ Choice awards for destinations.
They were followed by Rome in third and Bali fourth.
New York, a favourite among travellers, was bumped down five places from fifth to 10th.
Crete, Barcelona, Prague, Marrakech and Istanbul – which come in fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth and ninth respectively – all ranked above the Big Apple.
London held onto its top spot despite two terror attacks last year at London Bridge and the Houses of Parliament.
The awards are based on millions of reviews and opinions from users on TripAdvisor.
Winners were chosen using an algorithm derived from the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for hotels, restaurants and attractions and traveller booking interest.
Laura Citron, CEO of London & Partners said: “It’s wonderful to see that visitors continue to be drawn in by London’s extraordinary mix of history and heritage, cutting-edge contemporary culture alongside an array of major events and festivities.
“This year promises another jam-packed programme of blockbuster exhibitions, shows and exciting new openings to tempt visitors of all ages, interests and budgets.”
Seven of the top ten come from Europe this year: Paris, London, Rome, Crete, Barcelona, Prague and Istanbul.
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38