A YOUNG British expat has died in Spain after falling from a balcony during St Patrick’s Day celebrations.
James Walton was partying with friends in a fourth-floor flat on Sunday morning when he is said to have lost his balance and plunged head-first onto the pavement.
The Sheffield Hallam University student, from London, was on a placement year in Mallorca and was working at the Melia Hotels International as a global loyalty intern.
He was in his third year studying languages with international business in Spanish.
Horrified pedestrians called paramedics after discovering his body at 6am.
Emergency services declared him dead at the scene after desperately trying to resuscitate him for several minutes.
A source told the Sun: “They had been partying in the flat and there were bottles of alcohol lying around.
“The friends confirmed the dead man’s identity after being informed about what had happened.
“Two of the men inside the apartment were living there and another two were visiting.
“They weren’t aware of what had happened until police knocked on their door.”
James, who was raised in Ealing, was due to graduate next year.
Friend and colleague Maja Jaroszewska said: “Our amazing James.
“Words can’t describe how heartbroken we feel to have lost you so soon and so unexpected.
“You are forever in our hearts. We will remember you, doing your amazing dance moves and winning dance offs with strangers.
“Thank you for being in my life.”
A spokesman for Spain’s National Police confirmed there was no foul play.
A spokesman for the UK Foreign Office said: “We are in touch with local police and are providing bereavement advice to his family, following the death of a British man in Majorca.”
A Sheffield Hallam University spokesperson said: “We are extremely saddened to hear that one of our students has tragically died whilst on placement in Spain.
“We are offering support to the student’s family and friends as well as to our staff and students at the University and our deepest sympathies go out to them at this extremely sad and difficult time.”
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22