A YOUNG British expat has died in Spain after falling from a balcony during St Patrick’s Day celebrations.
James Walton was partying with friends in a fourth-floor flat on Sunday morning when he is said to have lost his balance and plunged head-first onto the pavement.
The Sheffield Hallam University student, from London, was on a placement year in Mallorca and was working at the Melia Hotels International as a global loyalty intern.
He was in his third year studying languages with international business in Spanish.
Horrified pedestrians called paramedics after discovering his body at 6am.
Emergency services declared him dead at the scene after desperately trying to resuscitate him for several minutes.
A source told the Sun: “They had been partying in the flat and there were bottles of alcohol lying around.
“The friends confirmed the dead man’s identity after being informed about what had happened.
“Two of the men inside the apartment were living there and another two were visiting.
“They weren’t aware of what had happened until police knocked on their door.”
James, who was raised in Ealing, was due to graduate next year.
Friend and colleague Maja Jaroszewska said: “Our amazing James.
“Words can’t describe how heartbroken we feel to have lost you so soon and so unexpected.
“You are forever in our hearts. We will remember you, doing your amazing dance moves and winning dance offs with strangers.
“Thank you for being in my life.”
A spokesman for Spain’s National Police confirmed there was no foul play.
A spokesman for the UK Foreign Office said: “We are in touch with local police and are providing bereavement advice to his family, following the death of a British man in Majorca.”
A Sheffield Hallam University spokesperson said: “We are extremely saddened to hear that one of our students has tragically died whilst on placement in Spain.
“We are offering support to the student’s family and friends as well as to our staff and students at the University and our deepest sympathies go out to them at this extremely sad and difficult time.”
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27
- IN PICS: Saudi tycoon’s HUGE €200 million yacht arrives on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 13:59
- Life in the laid-back East of the Costa del Sol has never seemed more appealing - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 10:10