SOME of the UK’s largest airlines have failed to pay a combination of over £4 million in court judgments to delayed passengers.
According to the Registry Trust Online, a company that records all County Court Judgments in England and Wales, TUI (formerly known as Thomson) has been the biggest offender after failing to pay £2.4million in compensation to approximately 5,000 delayed passengers.
Following closely behind is easyJet, who failed to pay £1.5m in compensation to over 3,000 delayed passengers.
EU law states passengers are entitled to refunds when flights are delayed.
A further 2,000 cases are also owed small sums of money by other airlines.
A spokesman from Bott and Co Solicitors said: “Many of our customers have tried to recover compensation direct from the airlines but have been ignored or fobbed off so they have had no other choice but to come to us for help.
“Thomson in particular making life difficult for delayed passengers.
“In 2017 we had to issue court proceedings on 73% of our Thomson cases – around 3,000 in total on behalf of 7,000 passengers.”
Bott and Co, who operate on a no win no fee basis, have lost only 1% of all claims against Thomson Airways that have gone to court in the last year.
“At least there is a crumb of comfort for passengers while they’re waiting at the airport for their delayed flight this summer,” it added.
- British boy, 5, who drowned near Spain’s Costa del Sol was visiting expat granddad - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 13:48
- REVEALED: Spain to have ‘warmer than average’ summer with Costa del Sol among hottest areas - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 13:26
- ‘WE’RE BEING POISONED’: Video of ship billowing black fumes ‘onto people’s homes’ outrages Gibraltar residents - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 11:43
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38