SOME of the UK’s largest airlines have failed to pay a combination of over £4 million in court judgments to delayed passengers.
According to the Registry Trust Online, a company that records all County Court Judgments in England and Wales, TUI (formerly known as Thomson) has been the biggest offender after failing to pay £2.4million in compensation to approximately 5,000 delayed passengers.
Following closely behind is easyJet, who failed to pay £1.5m in compensation to over 3,000 delayed passengers.
EU law states passengers are entitled to refunds when flights are delayed.
A further 2,000 cases are also owed small sums of money by other airlines.
A spokesman from Bott and Co Solicitors said: “Many of our customers have tried to recover compensation direct from the airlines but have been ignored or fobbed off so they have had no other choice but to come to us for help.
“Thomson in particular making life difficult for delayed passengers.
“In 2017 we had to issue court proceedings on 73% of our Thomson cases – around 3,000 in total on behalf of 7,000 passengers.”
Bott and Co, who operate on a no win no fee basis, have lost only 1% of all claims against Thomson Airways that have gone to court in the last year.
“At least there is a crumb of comfort for passengers while they’re waiting at the airport for their delayed flight this summer,” it added.
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38