Witnesses say the nine-year-old collapsed after running into a friend while playing football on La Zenia beach on Tuesday.
His grandmother and friends called 112 while performing resuscitation methods, but a basic life support crew didn’t arrive until 25 minutes later.
The much-needed Emergency Medical Attention Service (SAMU) ambulance did not arrive until 40 minutes after the call.
Health workers said the three SAMUs operating on the Orihuela Coast were busy providing non-priority services at the time and none were at their base.
The three in operation – one in Guardamar del Segura (25 minutes from the scene), another in Torrevieja (15 minutes away) and one located only five minutes away in Cabo Roig – were all making transfers at the time.
It was not until 55 minutes after the accident that the boy, who by this time had an extremely faint pulse, was taken to Quiron Hospital in Torrevieja.
He fell into a coma due to lack of oxygen to the brain.
A medical helicopter transferred him to Alicante General Hospital but he died at 5pm on Wednesday, 24 hours after the accident.
Witnesses are now blasting the late arrival of the emergency services, who said they had to travel almost 40 km from Orihuela to La Zenia.
The boy’s family are also angry that when the SAMU team arrived they insisted that the boy’s injuries had been caused by a blow from a ball rather than the collision others witnessed.
Orihuela town hall lamented the loss of the child and offered condolences to his family.
Family and friends will be taking flowers to the beach where the accident occurred.
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13