THIS is the behind the scenes look at an award-winning photography series cataloging Spain’s abandoned homes.
Mark Redondo has spent nearly a decade documenting the millions of homes left empty following the 2007/8 global financial crash.
By 2011, Spanish census figures put the number of empty houses at 3.4 million, roughly 30% of all of Europe’s empty property.
Around a half million developments were only partially completed.
Redondo revisited some of the original properties he photographed this year, for a second installment called Sand Castles (part II).
The British Journal of Photography’s DJI Drone Photography Awards funded the project.
Redondo said: “I wanted to present the developments like postcards,” he told the British
“In the way that the developers and constructors would have imagined them, with nice light, but obviously with the feeling that something is wrong.”
The new perspective also puts the developments in a stark contrast to their surrounding areas.
“I knew the developments were big, but I could not imagine their true extent,” he added.
“The sites are completely deserted and the locations are difficult to reach so, unless you are determined to go there, most people don’t ever see them.”
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22
- TASTING MANILVA: Discovering another side to this expat hotspot through cottage industry wine - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 11:51
- HOUSE OF HORRORS: Expat squatter couple caged and interrogated after dead baby and child, 3, found buried near luxury urbanisations in Spain - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 14:23
- Warnings as woman almost DIES in Spain after suffering huge allergic reaction to partner’s sperm in WORLD FIRST - 14 Mar, 2019 @ 17:36