FOUR Brits have been arrested for handing out fake bank notes at businesses in Magaluf.
Alarm bells went off when locals realised the criminals were paying with false €20 and €50 notes in bars and restaurants.
Although the notes looked identical to real ones, the texture of them was not perfect which made vendors suspicious.
La Guardia Civil and La Policia Nacional detained the suspects on Monday night in Torrenova.
After spending the night in a cell on Monday, the next morning the expats were taken by La Guardia Civil to the apartments where they were registered in Terranova.
In their bedrooms, officers found €5,000 in cash – €2,000 of which were false notes.
It is still being confirmed if the remaining sum is real money.
The Brits have reportedly been ‘living their lives to the full’ in Mallorca for some time now and regularly hang out in Magaluf’s famous tourist areas.
Investigators are trying to find out if the gang is merely a group of friends financing their stay on the island, or if they are part of a wider organisation.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03