SPAIN’S Supreme Court prosecutor is seeking a retrial for one of the most shocking cases in recent history.
The double murder in Almonte, Huelva, in 2013, saw an eight-year-old girl and her 39-year-old father butchered to death in their home.
The girl, Maria, was stabbed 104 times and her father, Miguel Angel Dominguez, 46.
But the main suspect in the case, known only as F.J.M, who was the ex-partner of the murdered girl’s mother, was acquitted by a jury in Huelva last year.
The jury voted eight against one in favour of acquittal, but the Prosecutor’s office is now seeking a retrial.
It argues there are ‘holes’ in the innocent verdict, according to sources close to the investigation.
And now it wants to analyse the entire case and determine whether or not the jury acted correctly.
The last word on a retrial will rest with the Criminal Chamber of the high court.
F. J. M, 34, had had a relationship with the mother of the girl who was brutally murdered in April 2013.
He worked in a supermarket with the mother and the father of the child, the other victim.
Police found F.J.M’s DNA on three towels in the house where the bodies were found.
Given the nature of the murders, investigators worked with the hypothesis that it was a crime of passion.
They predicted the murders lasted around 10 minutes.
The killer first stabbed the father as he came out of the shower.
He then killed the daughter, who was hiding in the kitchen after witnessing her father’s death.
F.J.M, the only suspect in the case, remained in prison between July 2015 and October 2017.
The Huelva Prosecutor’s Office requested a re-trial last November with a new jury and the annulment of the acquittal, but the Superior Court upheld the verdict.
The suspect denied committing the murders and claimed he was working when the killings occurred.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29