WITH the news that potentially lethal Man-o-war ‘jellyfish’ are back on the Costa del Sol, it’s important to know what to do and what not to do if you are stung.
If there are severe symptoms, such as difficulty breathing or chest pain, or if a large or sensitive area of the body, such as the face or genitals, has been stung, then emergency services should be called.
Otherwise, most stings can be self-treated.
Firstly, get the person out of the water, taking care not to get stung yourself.
Then use seawater – not fresh water – to rinse away any stinging cells from the jellyfish that may be clinging to the skin.
Don’t apply ice or a cold pack to the affected area – it may make the pain worse.
Don’t use vinegar either because it can cause any remaining stinging cells from the jellyfish to release more stings.
Ignore any advice you’ve heard about urinating on the sting. It’s unlikely to help.
As soon as possible, immerse the affected area in hot water (as hot as the person can bear) for 30 to 90 minutes to ease the pain and reduce swelling.
If the pain returns, you can continue immersing in hot water for up to two hours after being stung.
Hot flannels or towels can be used if immersion isn’t possible.
Painkillers, such as paracetamol and ibuprofen, can be taken to help relieve the pain.
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13