DOZENS of protests are planned across Spain today to demand better working conditions.
Organised by the country’s main labour unions UGT and CCOO, the more than 70 demonstrations will call for gender equality, better jobs and decent pensions.
CCOO chief Unai Sordo, asked ‘for the streets to fill up with people in order to shake up the comfort zone that [employers’ associations] CEOE and Cepyme are basking in thanks to the government’s labor reform.’
Rallies are already underway in Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Sevilla and Zaragoza.
“We are aware that street mobilizations are the leverage that enables policy changes,” said Pepe Álvarez, secretary general of UGT.
“Spain hasn’t been in a situation like this in a long time,” he added, alluding to recent protests over pensions and gender equality.
It comes after the CCOO and UGT warned in April that unless something is done to improve wages and reduce precariousness, there will be social unrest.
It comes as Spain continues to be the fastest growing economy in the eurozone, which unions say is not being reflected in the lives of ordinary citizens.
“We are starting to see indignation, anger and impotence. Either growth is shared out, or there’s going to be conflict,” warned union bosses last month.
Spain’s third-largest union, USO, said it will seek pay raises based on the CPI cost-of-living index plus four percentage points.
“They’re selling us the story of an economic recovery that is not reaching the workers,” said USO leader Joaquín Pérez.
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31