A PARAGLIDER has died after plunging into the sea in Granada.
The incident occurred at 12.10 yesterday when several witnesses alerted the local rescue center after watching the person fall into the water close to Playa de La Herradura in Almuñécar.
Witnesses said the paraglider was overwhelmed by strong currents.
Emergency services confirmed the news on Twitter.
Fallece un parapentista tras caer al mar en la playa de La Herradura en Almuñécar, #Granada
— Emergencias 112 (@E112Andalucia) May 10, 2018
The Guardia Civil revealed the person had died after being rescued from the water.
An investigation has been opened into the circumstances of the incident.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03