GUARDIA Civil officers have seized over 2,000 kilos of hashish from the sea after a high-speed narco chase in Huelva.
Four men have been arrested on suspicion of crimes against public health after a boat, which is typical of those used by drug-traffickers, was detected heading to the coast.
Officials from the Guardia Civil Servicio Maritimo, along with a Servicio Aereo helicopter were dispatched and found the boat around 11 miles from Isla Cristina.
After realising they were being followed, the four men on the boat attempted to get away at great speed and threw bales of hashish into the sea.
One officer was assaulted when trying to arrest one of the alleged drug-traffickers, after officials managed to jump in the narco boat.
73 bales of hashish weighing in at 2,200 kilos, were recovered from the sea and have remained in custody as evidence.
The investigation continues.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03