A NEW poll has revealed that women regard chefs as ‘the sexiest profession’.
When I announced this to my culinary husband Joffrey recently he responded with an effortless gallic shrug and a decidedly arrogant ‘bien sur’. Or ‘of course’ for all you language-challenged readers.
There are some very hot chefs abound, including and in no particular order Jean-Christophe Novelli, Gordon Ramsay, Marco Pierre White and Gino Di Campo. One of these likely lads offered to cook me breakfast many years ago but that’s another story.
Up there with chefs are firemen, doctors and lawyers.
Least sexy profession at the bottom of the poll, not surprisingly, are politicians (ED: How do us journos fare?).
Trump, Kim Jong-un and John Major immediately spring to mind. Though this seems highly unfair to Canada’s comely prime minister.
Talking of chefs, we have a new senior Chef de Partie Kris, pictured here with Joffrey. After a week’s trial Joffrey said he was going to cut the mustard.
I honestly felt like singing ‘Winner Takes It All’ around the restaurant. Finding a good chef here is truly like winning on the nose in the Grand National.
Kris and Joffrey have been devising our four-course Bastille Day menu while I have been organising entertainment and all things Français. Mmmmm, is the can-can a bit OTT? Yes, says Monsieur Joffrey so that idea has been duly canned.
When I finally got my hands on the menu it made for a mouth watering read.
Foie Gras with Brioche Toast & Fig Jam
Monkfish with Black Olive Oil, Baby Vegetables & Lobster Bisque
Guinea Fowl with Foie Gras Sauce, Pommes Noisettes Mushrooms, Wild Mushrooms & Creamy Polenta
Passion Fruit Profiteroles with Mango Puree & Mango Sorbet
And all for €65pp including Welcome Champagne and Live Entertainment by Lucy Sassoon, who is a talented jazz and soul pianist and singer.
Joffrey has been making various bets with customers that France will reach the World Cup final on July 15, which is the day after our Bastille Day celebrations.
I am fervently hoping he is right otherwise the drinks are going to be consistently on the house and our days off will have Joffrey cooking at various customers’ abodes along the coast.
A more pressing matter has been organising Joffrey’s Charity Car Show on June 30. We have had great support from Ian Giles at the Classic Car Club of Andalucia and I am learning rapidly about different car classes and proper order for car competitions or, put more elegantly by Ian, ‘Concours D’Elegance’.
As Mahatma Gandhi said: “The simplest act of kindness is by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowed in prayer”. I have been blown away by such kindness from offers of prize donations for the charity raffle in aid of the very deserving Lions Club. These include Sai Indian, Treetops, the Big Fish, Legends, Hair by Olivia Jane, Mapuchi Moda Fashion Shop, Biddy Mulligans and Pilates by Joanne Roche, to name a few.
Of course, there will be a dinner for two at Joffrey’s and a Tapas Platter and Wine for two among the prizes. Any further prizes for the Lions would be most gratefully accepted. Bill Gates are you reading this?
Having nearly sorted these two events, I am now on to the next very unusual offering for September 1. Joffrey wants to do a Blind Tasting Menu.
Ok this a new one for me. Do you actually wear blindfolds? Is there a prize for best guesser? Are my crisp white linens safe? My google search engine is melting.
Only time and some table runners will tell but life is certainly an adventure at Joffrey’s.
And here is my recipe of the month, a stunning little number:
Joffrey’s Lobster Bisque Recipe
3 Lobster Heads
1 Clove of Garlic
1 Sprig of Thyme
1 Tablespoon Tomato Puree
2 Litres Water
Joffrey’s is open for Tapas from 4-10.30pm daily (4 Tapas & Glass of Wine for €9.95) & A La Carte Dinner from 6.30-10.30pm. Closed on Sundays. Please call Joffrey on 952493909 or Lisa on 658748919.
- Everything you need to know about Spain’s general election on Sunday April 28 - 26 Apr, 2019 @ 13:47
- IN PICS: The women competing for your vote to be crowned Miss World Malaga on the same day as Spain’s general election - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 09:00
- The Online Gambling Industry in Gibraltar - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 14:10
- Heat and sun returns to Spain’s Costa del Sol from Friday with highs of 24C forecast for next week - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:54
- NOT MOO-VING: Moment stubborn cow causes traffic jam on busy A-7 in southern Spain - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54