NEW leader of the PP party, Pablo Casado is being probed over a potential fake master’s degree.
An investigation looking into the way Casado obtained the law degree in 2009 at Madrid’s Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (URJC) is being reviewed by the Supreme Court, which will decide whether to go ahead with the case.
It comes after a Madrid-based investigative judge found irregularities in Casado’s qualification, which he obtained while being regional deputy for the Partido Popular.
He has since admitted he did not attend classes or take exams, while the university waived more than 80% of his coursework.
If found guilty, Casado, 37, will face crimes relating to accepting a gift offered due to one’s public position and abetting unlawful decisions by civil servants.
This is the second fake degree scandal the PP has faced this year.
Former president of Madrid, Cristina Cifuentes was forced to resign in April when it was revealed she had failed to complete her master’s qualification at the very same university.
There are now seven people from URJC, including teachers and former students, being investigated in relation to the degree, reported El Pais.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03