AN Algerian Muslim who was shot dead yesterday while ‘trying to stab’ police near Barcelona was trying to get himself killed, his wife has claimed.
Abdelouahab Taib, 29, had allegedly come out as gay and wanted to commit suicide because he ‘felt shame’.
The young man stormed a police station wielding a knife yesterday and shouted ‘Allahu Akbar’ before being shot dead.
His Spanish wife said in her police statement that he told her two months ago he was gay, a source close to the investigation said.
“She said she had left him, that he had revealed his homosexuality and that he was disturbed about how that fit in with the Muslim religion,” the source added.
“We’re putting this down to confusion, a suicide attempt. There are some who do it throwing themselves off a bridge, he opted for this method.
“We’re basing ourselves on his wife’s testimony, who says he had not veered towards extremism.”
Neither the interior ministry nor the police have commented on the reports.
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20