The holiday favourite throws away 4.745 BILLION plastic straws every year – around 13 million each day – and it is the fifth most common waste found on its beaches.
Greenpeace is now calling on Spain to introduce laws to ban plastic straws and other disposable products.
Plastic products like straws take up to 500 years to decompose.
“Spain -remember- is the country in Europe in which most straws are used: 13 million a day”, Greenpeace said, and each person uses 110 of these plastic single-use items annually, or one every three days.
Cigarette butts, food wrappers, plastic bottles and plastic bottle caps are the top four most found waste products on Spain’s beaches.
Julio Barea, responsible for the waste campaign at Greenpeace, said: “Plastic straws have become one of the most frequent elements in our seas, beaches and rivers, despite being the most unnecessary plastic utensil, in the Mediterranean they already account for 6% plastic pollution.”
It is estimated that between 40 and 60% of the turtles in Europe’s seas ingest plastics, while more than one million birds and about 100,000 marine mammals die every year as a result of plastic pollution.
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20
- Endangered rhino, lion, hippo and tigers part of more than 200 species found at illegal taxidermist in Spain - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 11:26