The holiday favourite throws away 4.745 BILLION plastic straws every year – around 13 million each day – and it is the fifth most common waste found on its beaches.
Greenpeace is now calling on Spain to introduce laws to ban plastic straws and other disposable products.
Plastic products like straws take up to 500 years to decompose.
“Spain -remember- is the country in Europe in which most straws are used: 13 million a day”, Greenpeace said, and each person uses 110 of these plastic single-use items annually, or one every three days.
Cigarette butts, food wrappers, plastic bottles and plastic bottle caps are the top four most found waste products on Spain’s beaches.
Julio Barea, responsible for the waste campaign at Greenpeace, said: “Plastic straws have become one of the most frequent elements in our seas, beaches and rivers, despite being the most unnecessary plastic utensil, in the Mediterranean they already account for 6% plastic pollution.”
It is estimated that between 40 and 60% of the turtles in Europe’s seas ingest plastics, while more than one million birds and about 100,000 marine mammals die every year as a result of plastic pollution.
- British expats and locals FUMING as celebrity chef Dani Garcia’s chiringuito gets go ahead on protected land in southern Spain - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:16
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29