A TOUR guide app has called in lawyers after a woman was threatened with a €600,000 fine for offering guided tours of her Spanish village.
Susana Meseguer, 50, was making up to €60 per month by using the app GuruWalk and by posting small ads for tours in local shops.
Meseguer, who lives in Vilafames in Valencia, signed up to GuruWalk, which connects tourists to tour guides, when she lost her job in May.
But the Valencia government has now sent her a letter demanding she cease all tour guiding activity as she lacks authorisation, and that if she continues she could face a fine of between €100,000 and €600,000.
“We are currently with our lawyers to solve this issue,” a GuruWalk spokesman told the Olive Press: “but the amount of the fine looks disproportionate to us.”
Meseguer, 50, told El Pais that she has found ‘her place in the world in Vilafamés’, but has succumbed to the pressure and left the GuruWalk platform and removed her adverts from around the town.
She added: “I was not doing tours from 9am to 9pm every day, as they said, it was a sporadic thing, some weekends, as a hobby, because I love my village.
“I liked the walks where I would explain information and tell stories, and I would always warn that I was not an official guide. The most I ever made was around €60 in one month. If they had called me I would have cleared everything up, but they never did.”
She also claims that the town hall knew what she was doing, and that the tourist office had even sent her groups when staff couldn’t leave their post.
It comes as other platforms such as Uber and Airbnb have been met with much resistance from authorities across Spain.
- HAMMING IT UP: Andalucia’s award-winning jamon stars at Oscars after-party - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- Woody Allen to film new project across Spain after securing financing from Spanish company despite sexual abuse allegations which saw him dumped by Amazon - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:28
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33