SPAIN has put forward a set of fresh demands over Gibraltar amid Brexit negotiations.
Madrid wants the EU to pen a new chapter about the Rock in the Withdrawal Agreement which is believed to be around 85% settled.
The Spanish government is seeking a special Brexit deal with the Rock over long-standing issues such as tax evasion, environmental concerns, smuggling and cross-border workers.
It comes after EU chief negotiator, Michel Barnier met with Spanish prime minister, Pedro Sanchez this week and stated he would offer ‘all his support to Spain’ regarding its new requirements.
In return Spain has promised to stop pushing for sovereignty over Gibraltar for the rest of the Brexit talks.
Madrid hopes EU chiefs will produce an annex to the Brexit deal including tighter regulations that stop companies and individuals from tax evasion by seeking residency on the Rock, reported El Pais.
Gibraltar MEP Ashley Fox told The Sun: “So long as talks continue in goodwill and respect the Rock’s sovereignty we can reach a deal on time that will benefit both Spain and Gibraltar.”
MPs are also looking to clamp down on tobacco smuggling by raising prices in the British territory to match Spanish prices.
Some 600,000 cigarette packets were seized in Spain last year marking a 158% year on year increase.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03